Saturday, August 16, 2008

The world of radio ad sales

As everyone seems to be wondering, where has summer gone?! I hope that everyone enjoyed their internships---I know I sure did! I interned for Cox Radio in Jacksonville and loved it. They are a national company (and radio is actually the smallest part of Cox Enterprises.) They have a cluster of 5 radio stations at the Jacksonville location, and I worked in the sales departments of two of them. One was a classic rock station and the other, an 80s hits. It was really cool, because I'm from Jacksonville, so I was already very familiar with all of the stations. It was neat to see the studios and meet the DJs that I'd always heard on the radio.

The internship itself was great. My two supervisors were awesome and the sales staff (made up of about 10 sellers) were all young and excited about what they did. They were always willing to help and answer my many questions. I frequently went out on calls with all of them, along with doing al ot of researching...research that I actually found interesting!

I loved the company as a whole. The sellers receive great training (alot of it was similar to what we learned in CS1, with the different types of people, how to brainstorm etc,) and they spend a great deal of time researching a company before they call on it. They were more of marketers than cheesy sales people. The amount of research that goes into finding the right fit for a station amazed me. I definitely learned a lot!

As my internship was coming to an end, my supervisor called me into her office to discuss somethings she said she had talked about with the VP marketing manager (aka-head honcho of the Jacksonville office). I was kind of nervous, since I had only met him once or twice. She ended up revealing to me that they were trying to figure out a way to keep me on staff and pay me while I was away at school this year. The company is one who is embracing change, and always trying to stay one step ahead. She revealed they were thinking of creating a research department and wanted to make me research director. I was more than excited!! She said it would involve putting cases together for different companies, using qualitative research, as to why they should advertise on whatever station...which I had already done plenty of that summer.

But there was a catch--she said I would have to come up with a case and present it at their next managers meeting (5 days away) because we would have to convince the other 4 General Sales Managers of the other stations that I would be an asset for them and that they should pay me out of their budget. I was really nervous, but I did it and it ended up being a success! I've been meeting with people all week (even though my internship ended last week) and it was just finalized today. I am so excited! Especially since I will be able to work from home and won't have to worry about working my life away at Ruby Tuesday!

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again...and I really hope I am able to get into the class :-D

The world of radio ad sales

1 comment:

Jeff said...

THAT IS AWESOME! Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!