Monday, December 1, 2008

Always up & down - never down & out.

I’m thankful for;

My sister - who stands by me even when I’m at my worst.

The feeling of new love - when everything is easy and every smile is magic.

The pain of lost love - to know that what I felt was real; to be able to hurt is what keeps me human.

Rainy days & good books - snuggling up and forgetting the stresses of life.

Little kids - who remind me not to take myself too seriously and to be uninhibited.

Opportunity - to reinvent myself and the world around me, starting new every day.

It’s Thanksgiving, I had to make my list. To remind myself in the time of exams and job searches that even the losses in life are worth it. I’m not an overly patriotic person - and in actuality Thanksgiving is kind of hypocritical (in that the pilgrims were thankful for the land they stole and the Native Americans they killed) - but every Thanksgiving I think about how lucky I am to be living in this country. To be twenty-two and have endless opportunity, as opposed to twenty-two with a couple of children and a husband who could be my father. Simply by virtue of where I was born, I have a life that others can only dream of. And man, am I thankful for that.

Always up & down - never down & out.

No comments: