Monday, January 28, 2008

Hallmark's Advertising

So besides the fact that I do have a partial bias to Hallmark's company because I grew up on Hallmark Drive and it was founded by a Zeta (which is why their symbol is a 5-pointed crown), I saw some interesting advertising by them this weekend. I went home for my mom and little brother's birthdays, and my mom loves the sappy family-oriented movies. We were watching Channel 5 and there was a Hallmark special movie on. I thought this was a little interesting because now with Digital Cable and everyone have tons of channels, Hallmark has its own channel. But they were running the movie on the more mainstream CBS. Despite the fact that they had obviously paid the production costs to create the movie, the only advertisements throughout the entire movie were Hallmark advertisements. And they weren't normal ones either. They were all about 2 minute spots. They were actually really cute, touching commercials as well and would definitely appeal to anyone watching the featured movie. I think that is pretty smart advertising. I don't have any idea how much it cost though, and whether they had a deal with CBS in which CBS was able to show their movie for free in exchange for the advertising that Hallmark gets out of it or how that was set up. I looked for videos of the commercial and didn't find any of the one's I saw last night, however, here are a couple links to some similar style commercials by Hallmark. These are quite as good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTUBSdlTGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIyfAlIaOM

Hallmark's Advertising

No comments: