Monday, January 21, 2008

Ronald Hearts Your Fat Kid


The title of this post is a bumper sticker I saw on a car a few years back. It's blunt, kind of sad, and incredibly true. This article on AdWeek's site reaffirmed the frightening fact that fast food has a death grip on our nation, and particularly on kids.

America's continuing battle with obesity will continue to face obstacles and barriers because of junk food sold in cafeterias and fast food advertising on report cards. Advertising can be very effective for impressionable young minds. Sadly, effectiveness does not always bode well for the targets of these ads.

Ronald Hearts Your Fat Kid

1 comment:

Hamachi Jo said...

I love the picture of Ronald...I've always secretly wondered if he was hooked on his own product. I hear that's the number one rule among drug dealers...you know, not to get hooked on your own stuff. I feel bad for the clown though, it's fast food as a whole that's packing on the American pounds, not just MacDo. I mean if you've ever gone to a resto's website to read their nutritional chart, its amazing. Zaxby's is pretty terrible. The Zax Sauce alone is almost 300 calories--as much as a regular cheeseburger at MacDo. Its easy to pick on the clown because he's the "king of fast food" but Ronald is showing a little corporate responsibility by including nutritional info right on the wrapper. But don't we still eat it anyway? I know I do :P Obesity is probably going to become the hallmark for the American people, if consumers don't start taking responsibility for their own eating habits.