Monday, January 28, 2008

Thank You For Letting Me Vent! :)

I am going to take this opportunity to vent about something that I just can not wrap my head around. It's one of those situations where you think, "Did this really just happen to me?" I have been bummed out for days...

So I went home over Christmas break nervous and excited because I got myself an interview for summer internship. I had received a great contact, at a great advertising agency, in a great city and got myself a great interview opportunity. The details of the city, agency and contact I will not say but I was very excited and nervous for this possible opportunity. When I got to the agency for my interview I immediately felt at home in the laid back, creative atmosphere.

Needless to say the interview went amazing! By the end of the interview he asked me when I could start and introduced me to everyone in the building. I kept in touch with my contact and we both seemed very excited for me to intern this summer. Last week I emailed him to confirm I could fax him my paperwork to get internship credit for school and he emailed right back as usual saying, of course.

Two days later, this being three days ago, I get an email telling me he has bad news. This great agency will not have the funding for interns this summer. Of course he went on to say he has already passed my resume along to other agencies and told them what a great addition to their team I would be and even told me that he would be sure to get me a great internship somewhere if I needed the help...oh and he would let me know if anything was to change at this great agency...

I freaked out...How could he do this to me??? I was sooo excited, I had my whole summer planned out around this great internship! Now I'm back at square one or even worse because I have no experience on my resume and have not been in the process of looking for anything new since I thought I had it all worked out. I had been sooo proud of myself and very excited for this internship.

My question is: Does it make any sense that a large, more well known advertising agency does not have the funding for summer interns? First of all it was basically unpaid; as I was only receiving free parking and free lunch each day. What kind of funding does a company need for that?!?

I feel like I am royally screwed because it is now getting to be late in the game to find a summer internship! And anything I pull off now will probably not compare to the internship I had originally lined up.

Am I the only one worried about getting an internship? Am I actually screwed... Seriously how could this happen? I had everything all planned out. :(

Thank You For Letting Me Vent! :)

No comments: