Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Reality TV Sucks

For the longest time I hated reality TV. In the beginning they were tolerable when restricted to The Real World and game shows. Now we are in reality TV show overhaul. Everybody has a reality TV show and it's pure garbage. They bring the quality of TV way done. I'm all about scripted TV with a story, purpose, and great writing such as the abc show Pushing Daisies. I am well aware of the appeal of Reality Shows to the greedy network conglomeration. It's cheap to film, produce, and you don't have to pay the stars of the show rayalties for syndication. However, creativity people. There are now spin off of spin off of the spin off. For instance, VH1. This channel created Surreal Life whiched Spanned Strange Love which spanned Flavor of Love which Spanned I love New York and Flavor of Love: Charm School. To make matter worse they have the nerve to create sequels to Flavor of Love and I Love New York. And what gives with the constant marathon. Orininality people. Please try something new. O, and don't get me started on the 24 hour marathon of America's Next Top Model on VH1 and MTV.
That reminds me. MTV, what gives? MTV stands for music television yet that channel is the last place to go if you want to actually hear music. It's nonp reality tv shows. They know created another channel called MTV 2 and MTV Hits in order to listen to music. However, the messed up part of it is that those channels are only available to people with premium cable.
The sad part of this rant is I completely understand the business and practicality of reality shows. It's all about ratings and impressions. Why couldn't people appreciate what made the olds shows iconic.
Another sad fact is that this rant was brought on because I just finished reading an article about product placement in reality shows and the fact that there will be a lot more reality shows brought on by this writers strike. *Sigh. I'm also dismayed because I am already to aware of product placement. A year ago I was able to watch movies and TV shows all happy and oblivious to the For Sale sign on my forhead.
= Tochi Signing out

Reality TV Sucks

No comments: