Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Infomercials...the hostile takeover




Infomercials used to be the thing that your grandparents watched or what you watched because there was nothing else on tv at 3:00 in the morning. That is all now a thing of the past, because believe it or not informercials have taken over. Not only are they appearing on regular and prime time tv advertising slots, but people are actually buying the products. The infomercial products are now even more popular and accessible, due to stores like Target, Walgreens, Wal-mart, and the "As Seen On TV Store" that carry these products. Take for example, the infamous Snuggie, that everyone swore up and down that they would never own one even if their life depended on it, well as you can see from the image, even the Today Show cast is buying into this trend. Even Potbelly's had a Snuggie night, where if you wore your Snuggie to Pot's you would get in free with no cover charge. I'm not going to lie, I actually thought about this for about 15 seconds and then realized how dumb I would look standing outside a bar in a Snuggie. Everyone around me, my roommates included, seem to own a Snuggie whether they got it for Christmas or they shamefully bought it themselves. Even my own mother has given into the whole infomercial craze and bought the Perfect Brownie pan, which cuts your batch of brownies perfectly into little squares with no mess. My mom at first refused to tell me she bought it, because she knew I would make fun of her for it, but then openly admitted to it. She swears on her favorite BCBG stiletto heels, that the Perfect Brownie is the best invention known to man kind. I guess to each his own and that we can just embrace the informercial mania, because it is just going to keep on growing. Still though, I can't help but laugh when I see one of my friends prancing around in a Snuggie or my mom being so easily entertained with her Perfect Brownie pan.

Infomercials...the hostile takeover

1 comment:

Ramage, what? said...

I still want the big top cupcake that makes the GIANNNTTTTTT cupcake lolol