Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bloggity Blog Blog

So, working with my team has been fun. I will say, using the six hat method has been with keeping my group on track and helping us verbalize what we cannot seem to describe to each other. We've figured out that we are all on the same general track with our overall concept and theme for the project. In English, the process of just allowing thought to flow is called free writing and is just taking ten minutes, for example, and just scribbling anything that comes to mind based on a word or topic. This is very similar to what we did, though we stuck to phrases and free writing is typically in paragraph form.
For any creative endeavour you attempt, professors strongly encourage free writing when you hit a wall. You never know what kind of insight you could gain by looking at what you've jumbled out. In my creative writing poetry class (which I recommend for anyone who intends to do any kind of copyrighting*) we would have to switch up how we approached any given subject by changing how we thought about it. For example, we had to write a poem that was based on a sense that was not sight. I chose smell, not surprisingly, and wrote about my nonna, grandma, and it was my best poem of the semester. It was interesting and a challenge to describe someone without writing about how they look, but it was also interesting to learn how to interpret someone other than how they look. Nothing against Dickens, but I would be more interested in a novel which never gave a single visual description and see how differently I understood the characters from someone else.
The point is, I liked the six-hat method and I found many similarities between that and my creative writing classes. As a result, I will attempt to explain it to as many people as I can and sing its praises to all who will listen.

*This is a great class, specifically poetry because other than short story, etc., it teaches you to write what you are trying to convey very concisely. For anyone who has ever had to analyse a poem every word in a poem is relevant and affects the overall connotation and tone of the poem. Advertising depends on word choice in creating tone and has to be simple enough to be easily remembered. (My biggest problem when taking the class was the professor kept saying I wrote like I was writing an ad).

Bloggity Blog Blog

1 comment:

Tom Laughon said...

When I finally landed in advertising at the University of Florida (quite by accident, but that’s another story) I knew I had found a home.

I had been writing songs and short stories since way back when, but when I discovered a blank sheet of paper was all I had to create attention, interest, desire and action, a 60 second piece of airtime was all I had to fill with sounds, create images and do anything I wanted (as long as it sold something) because it was the theatre of the mind, and 30' of TV time was mine to do with as I pleased ... sights, sounds, imagination ... unlimited, boundless, amazing! I was hooked!

After the initial adrenaline rush, it occurred to me that I had not only chosen the neatest career direction for me, but the most difficult if I wanted to do it right. A sheet of paper, 30 seconds or 60 seconds of airtime done right is like trying to get the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin. That’s when I discovered I had a challenge that would last a lifetime. Getting it just right in so little space and time would be much more difficult than being able to take all the time you need and all the space you need. That doesn’t require near the discipline.

Oh yeah, and throw in all the clutter you have to bust through just to reach someone’s mind that is already convinced anything you have to say is going to suck.

So ... the genius is in the creativity and in the editing. The challenge is to make every word, sight, sound and pause count. The simpler or more spontaneous it seems, the more difficult it was to concept and execute. The fact is, you find yourself in the business of surprising yourself. If you don’t accomplish that time and time again, you want be successful.

I love this business! Love it love it love it. It is like writing and performing rock and roll without having to carry a lot of heavy equipment or get stuck in smoky bars for the better part of your career.

By the by, Six Thinking Hats is the coolest tool for generating ideas and new ways to look at things. I am glad you are using it and enjoying it as much as I do.

Keep up the good work. Keep the creativity flowing ...