Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When Advertising Met Art...

One of my favorite quotes about advertising goes something like, “Advertising is art for someone who doesn’t want to starve.” Granted, I can’t remember exactly how it goes or who even said it, but I like to think that it's a bit true. For a (brief) amount of time I was an Art major...and a bad one. I feel like a lot of others in the advertising industry are artists who just couldn't pass Human Life Drawing. And while some "artist" would scoff at the idea that something so commercial is art, they have obviously never heard the saying "Art is in the eye of the beholder." Or better yet, "Advertising is art of the money holder."

This brings me to why I love advertising. There's something about thinking outside of the box, or outside the building, that blurs the line between art and advertising fabulously.


Made With 7,563 dice.





When Advertising Met Art...

1 comment:

Amanda Gibbs said...

I love this post because I was into art a lot too.In high school I was an art history buff (still am). But what I realized is that I didn't have to major in art to have it in my life. I wanted a career that had a business and psychology aspect to it. That's how I fell in love with advertising. Because I knew it would combine my love for art, business, and psychology :)