Monday, November 3, 2008

Tia's blog got me thinking.

So my old roommate and I used to always come up with weird questions about life that made us go, "hmmm". It was one of my favorite past times and today I got to thinking about an old question that I always brought up. How do people make the crossover into having casual acquaintances and becoming "hanging out" friends?

I am sure there is some intense psychological answer for this question but that's not what I'm after. I'm not all about the textbook reasoning behind the complexities of friendship. I just want to know if it's an experience, one conversation, or what happens between two people where one of them feels comfortable enough to extend an invitation to hang out. Is it a level of comfort? Do people just sense something unexplainable that makes them become friendly with each other?

I started thinking about how I become so close with my best friends. I noticed that I like to be in control when it comes to friends. I enjoy inviting people to go somewhere, I like introducing my friends to other friends, I love the planning. When the roles are reversed, however, it's a completely different story. If someone invites me somewhere I hesitate like the best of them. Why is that? Why is it that I am never comfortable with being a tiny bit vulnerable?

I understand this is not an earth shattering blog but I have been thinking about relationships a lot lately. Have any of you felt as if you were growing in one way and all of your friends were staying the same/growing in a completely different way? It's a very scary feeling but I think just an aspect of life that is not avoidable. Currently, I am in this situation. It's not as if I dislike my current friends at all, I just feel like I am ready for a change. Ready for something new and exciting. I Feel as if I have become so accustomed to hanging out with these people that any stray away would cause dramatic red flags for them.

The whole situation reminds me of a song by Rilo Kiley. It's titled "A Man/Me/Then Jim" and basically describes different situations where people have seemed to just fall out of love with other people/things. The "slow fade of love" that is mentioned throughout seems unexplainable but very much relevant. Could there possibly be a "slow fade of love" amongst people, too?

The intention of this post was not to be a Debbie Downer womp womp one, it was more so about thinking. Why are you friends with the people you are? What is it about life that makes people grow apart? If you are unhappy with a friendship but not because of a specific situation should you pretend that nothing is wrong? Is there really such a thing as the "slow fade of love" present in the universe?

Tia's blog got me thinking.

No comments: