Friday, November 7, 2008

Well, I guess this is growing up...

Today I had the unfortunate pleasure of visiting the good old IRS office. It's a long story but basically, I STILL haven't received my economic stimulus check. The adventures of me going to the IRS got me thinking a lot about money...

One thing led to another and next thing I know I was on the phone with my Dad and out popped the scariest question I have ever had to utter..."Dad, when am I going to be completely cut off monetarily?". I know some of you out there are i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t and pay all of your own bills now, but I am not. My parents graciously pay for my living expenses.

Now I must inform you all that I have had an infatuation with money ever since I was a small child. No, not the kind of infatuation which ends up in me shopping every week, buying gifts for myself all the time, or anything like that. I am on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. I am a saver. There, I've said it. I love seeing the money in my savings account increase as the days go by!

My sister's station recently had to cancel their weekend show. (If you don't remember, she's a big deal newslady). : ) The constant reminder of layoffs has me incredibly scared. Yeah, I have a savings account but there is not a lot in there by any stretch of the imagination. With graduation looming it's ugly head, freaking out has become a weekly ritual. What if I am not offered a job post graduation? What if I can't pay all of my bills? Will I have to move back home and live with my Mom or Dad?

I was talking to my Mom earlier today (it was quite the parent day for me, apparently) and she told me some very helpful advice. She said to me, "Andrea--don't worry about things you cannot control. You will always be able to find work, finding a career may take more time. There is no rush and I know you will succeed in whatever you end up doing."

Sometimes parents really are the best medicine there is. : )

Well, I guess this is growing up...

1 comment:

Kristie said...

have you opened a retirement fund yet?