Monday, November 3, 2008

Seasons come and seasons go...

I don’t know when or how it happened, but its November 3rd already. Today is Election Eve, and for better or worse, it’s all over tomorrow. Jump ahead a week - and its Veterans Day, but who really appreciates what that means anymore besides a day off from school and work. Then, before we know it - it will be Thanksgiving. You’ve got your family pestering you “Eat! You look skinny!” “What are you doing after college?” and the dreaded, “Dating anyone?” Final projects, Christmas, New Years (not to mention probably a big hangover) all follow.

And two more months are gone, just like that.

These are the best days of our lives, and all too often I spend my time wishing it was the weekend, or the weekend after that. Why on earth, would I EVER do that? We all know that time is a social construct, that philosophically, it’s meaningless. But in real life, it’s not meaningless, is it? It slows down when you wish it would speed up, and speeds up when you wish it would slow down. Time means change, it means saying goodbye, it means new experiences.

I spent this past weekend with my sister. Young, and about as sarcastic as they come, she can get my temper going faster than anyone. But not this weekend. I knew that this weekend was one of the last I’d be spending with her as "kids". I realized that too soon I wouldn’t have the luxury of fighting, making up, and laughing all night. Real life is starting for me, and time is my enemy these next two months. Soon distance will separate me from my sister, my perfect opposite. Our relationship will change, we’ll change, and we’ll have to make it work. For now though, I’m going to remain blissfully unaware of the 87, 840 minutes left of my college career that are slipping away. I’m going to laugh, cry, complain, pass, fail, party, sleep, and eat like the college student I am because all too soon, it’s going to be gone.

Seasons come and seasons go...

4 comments:

Tom Laughon said...

I read the following off of a Starbucks cup of all places.

It was a selected offering in the Starbucks "The Way I See It" series. I kept the cup to remind me of just how important memories are and the challenge to create meaningful memories for "those whose lives we touch".

I thought you might appreciate it, too:

The way we get to live forever is
through memories stored in the
hearts and souls of those whose
lives we touch. That’s our soul
print. It’s our comfort, our
emotional nourishment at the end
of the day and the end of a life.
How wonderful that they are called
up at will and savored randomly.
It seems to me we should spend our
lives in a conscious state of
creating these meaningful moments
that live on. Memories matter.

~Leeza Gibbons
(Television and radio personality)

Gayle Turner said...

I was 17 when I graduated from high school and 17 years after that I graduated from college. It's been 22 years since then and I can tell you time only seems to go by fast in the rear view mirror.

I am lucky enough to get to do what I do for a living. (I'm a Catch Your Limit consultant) But then I've never stayed in any job for more than 90 days if I wasn't enjoying myself.

That said, every day is a joy for me. I've spent the last year battling cancer and I gotta tell ya It wasn't that bad. Sure, it was occasionally painful, but so many people were kind and caring to me that I can actually say parts of the experience were rather enjoyable. I'd like not to go through it again, but having done so once I'm sure I'd survive again.

So, I agree with you; don't wish away the present. Stay engaged where you are and I can tell you from experience you won't look back with regret.

Andrea Wolf said...

Every single blog you post touches me. Gosh, I have become such a softie. Keep them coming, Tia. I adore you. : )

Kristie said...

Andrea, you are not alone. Tia I love your posts too. I paused after every sentence to consider what you wrote. I loved it, thanks!