Monday, April 5, 2010

A delightful anecdote

I have no idea what to blog about so I will share a story I experienced recently while on an interview for an internship.

I applied to a bunch of little ad firms in Tampa for the summer and when I found out about XYZ (names have been changed to protect the ignorant) firm I had already accepted another internship. My thought process was hey: I can always use the practice, why don't I just do the interview and then later if I get it I can say I chose something different.
Ok. Well they wanted me to come on a Tuesday to interview with them from 2-3 but I emailed them asking if we could please make it a phone/skype interview since it is a 4 hour drive for me and I have class and group projects on the weekend. They were very nice and said sure just give Jake a call at 2 on the same Tuesday and we'll talk* important for the rest of the story*
So, Tuesday comes around and I give Jake a call at 2. No answer. Call him at 205. No answer. Keep calling and I leave a message at 215 with no answers. I think: Ok maybe she told me the wrong person and I should call her. So I call Rosie. No answer. Call her again at 220. No answer. Call her at 230. No answer. IM PISSED. Seriously what the eff why would you tell me to call you then not pick up? Unprofessional much?
So I send Rosie a nasty email. A nasty but professional email mind you. Then at 250 I get a phone call. Its a guy named Nathan who immediately says "Melissa we've been waiting for your call you this can't happen if you work here" NATHAN? I was never told I would be interviewing with a Nathan. I explain myself and we go on with the interviewing process. One of the first things he says to me is "oh youre from FSU? I am a gator. GO GATORS. We raped you at the last football game." This guy is obviously not gonna be a friend of mine. He proceeds to say GO GATORS at least 5 more times in our 10 minute talk. When he's finished he says "Ok Melissa, I am going to transfer you to Patty" but he hangs up on me!
At about 310 Patty calls and we have a mini interview. Then she says she is going to put me on hold so I can talk to Rosie, but these people have no knowledge on the telephone and she hangs up on me too.
It is now 315 and I have class at 330. Rosie calls and we talk and her closing statement is: "You know Melissa, you are gonna want to come in and see us face to face because I can tell you right now you probably wont get the job this way. Phone interviews are very impersonal BLAH BLAH BLAH." I want nothing to do with this company now but I still need to be "transfered" to Linda. Rosie says "stay on the line, she'll be right here" and I am on hold for about three minutes and she hangs up on me...
I never did get a call back from Linda. And you can bet I did not send them a Thank You card for their time. It just surprised me how conceited a small little firm in Tampa can be and how rude they are to potential employees.
Whatever they're lame.
But on a funny note: I just got an email today saying I got the internship. Guess I didnt need to show my face. I am going to have fun declining them.

A delightful anecdote

No comments: