Thursday, April 8, 2010

ICONIC. BUT WHY?

Y'all [kinda] know me...I walk in class [late] with my big stunna shades on and [try to] look very put together and sophisticated [most of the time]. And I get that inspiration from my diva mom, my love of parisian life & style, annnd Audrey. I LOVE Audrey Hepburn and her style. I have her poster up in my room. and I especially love her look in the classic movie Breakfast At Tiffany's. Why? Because it's iconic. DUH!


But recently realized I have NEVER seen any of her movies.

I know what you are thinking. You are saying to yourself,

"How the hell can she call herself an Audrey fan and she's never seen any of her CLASSIC movies?!?!"

Ok. I'm a poser. SUE ME lol

But really, I was ashamed of my lack of Audrey knowledge so I decided to do some research and actually watch Breakfast at Tiffany's. Annnd...I hated it.

Holly Golightly is a ditzy hot MESS of a person with these crazy quirks and disorganized life and erratic [borderline crazy] behavior. She is not the sophisticated, put together, classic, modest diva I thought she was!

AND the male lead, Paul "Fred" Varjak, not even a hottie! :(

And not to mention the BLATANT racism seen in the character Mr. Yunioshi. It's like black face coonery for Asians...

See the similarity?

ANYWAYS, needless to say, Breakfast at Tiffany's was a big disappointment to me. It left me wondering, why people love this movie so much? What is so classic about the plot? She lives this ridiculous life with her fat cat [i hate cats!] and she meets this guy, calls him by her brother's name [wtf], goes on these random adventures with him, takes him to a store and commits an act of shoplifting, hosts these parties, comes back home at all hours of the night...Just RIDICULOUS!

So now, i have to rectify my idolization of Audrey. I love the way she LOOKS. Her style. The way she is perceived. But her caliber of work is a whole different story...

I don't know what this has to do with creative strategy BUT it is pretty interesting, no? :)

***DISCLOSURE***
I apologize if this blog offended anyone in any way...if you happen to like Breakfast at Tiffanys, if you like random plots, if you like cats, or if the black face coonery or asian mockery photos offended you [as they did me!].

ICONIC. BUT WHY?

No comments: