Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My stress-relief list

Ever since we've come down to crunch time with finals week, I've been having to discover new and creative ways to not lose my mind.


Over the weekend, I spent every night huddled over my computer till the early hours, trying to squeeze in a semester of French into my brain while still leaving room for geology, Hispanic Marketing, Creative Strategy, and Hospitality Management. Finally, I reached my breaking point.

If I didn't take some emergency "me" time, I was going to flip. So, in typical Brock fashion, I broke out my pen, and made a list of things I was going to do before I continued working. I just thought I'd share this list, so all of you hard working creatives can use my secrets of mental relaxation. Take notes.

1) Flea Market
This is my ace in the hole. Tallahassee's flea market is one of the best around, and with about 5$, anyone can find something that awakens your inner child. Don't believe me? Here's just a few of the things me and my friends have bought (for ridiculously cheap) in the last few months when we needed a quick getaway: Crossbow (real, not a toy), incense from Jamaica, old video games, crazy looking knives, air-soft AK47s, and more. Plus, the beer is cheap and the locals are... colorful. Check it out the next time you're feeling stressed.

2)Omegle.com
Pretty much everyone has used one of these websites by now, but it's still one of my favorite places to get rid of writers' block. It's an anonymous chat room, where you can meet a complete stranger from anywhere in the world, and they'll never know who you are. To an ad major, this means 'free focus group'. Bounce some ideas, have some interesting conversation, you'll be surprised how quickly it clears your mind. Disclaimer: there are a lot of pervs out there. Beware.

3)Campus Walk
Finally, my favorite stress-reliever. During a school day, if you're near campus, just go walk around campus and find a classroom to sit in on. At FSU, there are plenty of classrooms large enough that you will blend in. Sit through the class, don't worry about taking notes, and just absorb the information. It's a great way to clear your mind from what you've been working on, and is single-handedly responsible for getting me through last semester's finals.

Finally, just take a deep breath. It's just a class. Good luck on your projects everyone!

My stress-relief list

No comments: