Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Goal Change

For a long time I knew I wanted to go into advertising, but I didn't think I would fit in at the "typical" ad agency. I always pictured an agency as a big office in New York or Chicago, where I'd be stuck walking around in heels in a world of black and gray, stuffed in a cubicle next to tons of people I don't like. Thankfully, this semester (especially in this class)has helped clear a few things up for me.

1: Stuffy offices like the ones I described do exist, but they make up only a small percentage of the agencies out there.

2: Big agencies work well with big budgets, but that doesn't mean they get the big clients. Now I can look forward to whatever size agency I choose, and even the small-sized agency I imagine creating myself in the future.

3: People in agencies are just like us, and by that I mean they're not any one way. They aren't all snooty or boring or crazy. Agencies have individual "personalities" themselves, but there are many to choose from, and each person making up the agency is different. Overall I've enjoyed working with the people in this class, so it's comforting to know that we're all out there together, whether or not we ever end up being co-workers.


In the beginning of the semester I set a goal for myself to build and run a website that did promotions for local musicians, mostly because I assumed working with bands was the only way I could get away with avoiding heels and having a job in a relaxed environment. When it came to actually starting up the website, however, I imagined interviewing the unorganized and smelly musicians my boyfriend records in his studio, and I hated the idea. I do need a schedule, no matter how strict, and I need to work with people who shower... again, I'm making generalizations, but my point is that I realized I can get what I want out of a job no matter where I end up. I still want to work in a laid-back atmosphere, but, as it turns out, I don't mind wearing heels every now and then after all!

Thank you, my creative friends, for an exciting semester. I look forward to seeing all of our presentations tomorrow!

Goal Change

No comments: