Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Life is Coming Up Fast

Ok, so this isn't necessarily going to help me break into a career in advertising, but it will definitely aid me in achieving my original career goal to become an automotive journalist.

I found an ad on craigslist recently and jumped on it. Examiner.com was looking for writers in the Miami area to cover local automotive topics. I jumped on it, even though I won't be back home for another month or so after I graduate in May. I went through the whole process over the weekend and the past couple of days. I filled out the application, which asked me to explain why I was right for the job, as well as prompted me to write an example of an article right then and there. I was then asked to choose what to focus my articles on. I submitted a new category since I couldn't find one I truly liked out of their choices.

Well, I got an e-mail back today congratulating me on getting the job. More than that, they want me to be the head of ALL general automotive topics. I'd be covering events, answering questions, and will be given a venue to post any of my random ramblings I may have concerning anything related to vehicles. The site doesn't pay very well, but it's all based on the number of viewers of my page. I'm fairly confident I can establish a loyal reader base though.

I'm most excited about just having an opportunity to have my work published professionally, and I can use some of these in a portfolio if I decide to move forward with this route.

Now the hard part comes...How to make sure I publish my minimum of 4 articles a week with everything else I have going on...sometimes posting in this blog is hard enough!

I'm sure I can do it though. I look forward to being able to share with you guys my site once it's all set up laer this week!

Life is Coming Up Fast

No comments: