Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I'm letting go of my pride

First off, Hannah Montana amazingly reached superstardom a few years before reaching the age of 18. I watch her show every now and then … well actually more often than I would like to admit, but it is amazing how although the target market is definetly being reached the Disney show can still keep the attention of twenty-year-olders as well.

MSNBC had a great article about the empire she is building and how it compares but actually may surpass the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen twins dynasty that took several years to build. Already, Miley Ray Cyrus has reached her superstar role in a matter of two short years.

The day after Super Bowl XLII, she stole headlines away from one of the most memorable upsets in the history of the NFL because her film, "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert", became the No. 1 movie at the box office, earning $31.1 million in three days. It was supposed to only run for one weekend, but after the success it has been extended indefinitely. She broke all sorts of records and is still breaking them (regarding her movie).

Well, being the Curious George that I am, I had to go check out the movie for myself. (O, by the way the movie was only available in at 683 specially-equipped Digital 3-D theaters and moviegoers, including me, paid on average $15 per ticket. To put that into perspective, the national average is around $7.) But the experience that you get is pretty amazing. First off it is a digital projector, so it is like watching HD movies on the biggest TV screen ever. this equated to amazingly good looking previews before the 3D even started. I almost thought that the previews were in 3D and tried to put on my glasses and see it. It took me a little while to realize I was wrong.

Secondly, 3D is pretty cool. I don't understand how it is created, but I want to figure out, because one day I want to be on a project dealing with this technology. But knowing that I was sitting here, in Tallahassee, but feeling like I was actually at the concert was a pretty neat thing, that I think you might want to pay $15 to see how the user experience is delivered, something I think we all can learn from.

I was saying to the party that accompanied me at the movie that the one thing that was not the greatest was the shortness of the movie. It only laster about one-and-a-half hours. I was commenting on this and though how exciting it would be if a band like the Dave Mathews Band did something on this scale. With concerts approaching three hours and feeling like you were there, I think it would be really exciting and a little more worth the $15, well actually $30 that I actually had to spend.

If you made it through this whole post thanks, and don't razz me too hard about it. Also if you know anything about how 3D movies work, let me know.

I'm letting go of my pride

1 comment:

Amy for Hire said...

You could've just said Kristin made you go! lol. But you know me and my love for the Disney Channel - I am actually quite a fan of Hannah Montana and I too saw that same report that said she's going to be like the Olsen twins - except there's only one of her so that's a pretty awesome feat on it's own! I wish you would've called and invited me to go because I'm too embarrassed to go see it on my own and all of my friends think I'm crazy for wanting to check it out.