Monday, February 25, 2008

What has our generation come to?

So I was waiting for the bus this morning and some students were discussing politics. I was excited/relieved because when Heath Ledger made it as CNN's TOP story a few weeks ago, I started loosing faith in my very own generation.

Pop culture is great and is obvioulsy a very integral part of advertising. But as the future of this country, we should be informed about what is going on in the world and the U.S. before we are concerned with the details on an actor's death.

Needless to say, I was pleased to hear my peers discussing these newsworthy issues. Until, I discovered their reasons behind choosing which presidential candidate they favored most.

They had decided which presidential candidate they voted for in the primaries by taking an online quiz. I was unable to find this quiz, but I heard them discussing a few of the questions and from only one course in advertising research it was apparent to me that these questions were very slanted.

Not only that, but the female was arguing that she voted for Hilary Clinton almost entirely because she was a woman. I am a female myself, yet, I have never and will never vote for a candidate because they are black, white, female, male, etc. I vote for candidates because I have similar goals for our country.

Anyways, I am pleading that any of you who have decided on your candidate of choice because of an online quiz, sexuality, or race, PICK UP A NEWSPAPER! Please, be informed about the candidates. Your vote is determining our future, so spend some time and do some research.

What has our generation come to?

No comments: