Sunday, March 30, 2008

flying high: a new low....

Being an ad major I have more tolerance for adv then most… but when I was on my flight to DC last week, I think advertising has hit a new low.

First off, let me say, that I was not exactly in a good mood on the flight… my grandma had just died, I was kinda hung over, and stuck on a flight with the worlds most kids…

I had finally been able to start to fall asleep when the captain came on over the loud speaker. “Ladies and gentleman I just want to let you know about US Airway’s promotion with bank of America…” he proceeded into a 7 min pitch about their newest credit card promotion… um A: shouldn’t you be driving the plane! B: I’m officially being held hostage and advertised too 20,000 ft above ground! C: this is an embarrassment to the advertising profession.

The flight attendants then walked up and down the isle with brochures and applications. When one person showed some interest, the attendant this went into a 5 minute (obviously coached) pitch about how great the card was and was literally pushing it, while the rest of us sitting in the vicinity were forced to listen.

I can’t believe that US airways or Bank of America has stooped this low. It makes them look tasteless and desperate… what’s next, being advertised to the entire flight?

flying high: a new low....

No comments: