Saturday, March 15, 2008

Red Hills Horse Trails

So I can't sleep...so I just decided to blog!! I just got back from spring break yesterday. I went to Panama City Beach and New Orleans...it was pretty amazing. There were so many spring breakers at the beach and the weather was amazing. I had some great food and fun in New Orleans. All in all it's been a pretty good spring break. But this weekend is the Red Hills Horse Trails. I love horses and it's a pretty big event in the horse community of Tallahassee. It happens every year. It's an Olympic qualifing competition, so there are riders there from all over the world including many past Olypians. I go every year and volunteer. Normally I just help give out the big ribbons at the end. It's pretty cool because I get to meet all the Olympians and the winning riders. It's all weekend, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday is the "boring" day, its dressage. Saturday is definately the day to go. It's cross country, so you get to see these animals jump over natural obstacles at full speed (it's pretty incredible...last year, they had to jump over a truck! A real truck! Intense!). Normally there is plenty of entertainment in the form of bucks, rears, and spills. A few riders normally get hurt (or at least fall) out on the cross country course. Last year, a guy had to be airlifted out of the field! Sunday is stadium jumping, which is a little more laid back than Saturday but still pretty intense. The scores are combined for the 3 days and then the rider and horse with the lowest score (meaning least amount of faults) wins. It's called 3-day eventing, and it's my sport so I love it. I have a horse that I'm training to do this sport, so it's an opportunity for me to learn a lot. It pretty much consumes my entire weekend (I mean, I came back from spring break for this!) It's open to the public so if anyone's interested, you should definately check it out. I'll be out there all weekend. It's totally worth it I promise!


Red Hills Horse Trails

No comments: