Monday, March 31, 2008

I've been real all my life and they confused it with conceit.

I've been a fan of hip-hop music since I was a kid. Every now and again I'm surprised by how much I've learned from America's most criticized music genre. Little nuances and personality traits that I have were shaped by the music I listen to. I think it has helped me creatively and academically. The main goal of the music is to take complex ideas and emotions then simplify them to fit the beat. Not only do you have the challenge of expressing complex ideas in rhyme but also your word selection is limited based upon the amount of syllables in different phrases. A lot of artists create analogies in order to reiterate a point, simplify that idea, or just to show relevant brilliance. I think writing taglines, headlines, or any copy is a lot like writing a song. You have to be clever and fit the page at the same time. I say that to say this, CHOOSE YOUR ATTITUDE CAREFULLY.
Antonio

I've been real all my life and they confused it with conceit.

No comments: