Thursday, March 20, 2008

Say whaaa?

I'm in the oddest state right now, emotionally speaking. I almost feel overwhelmed by trying to find an internship. Yet, I find myself enjoying the process. It's kind of sick really. Everyday that goes by brings us closer and closer to summer, my deadline is approaching and that is ALWAYS in the back of my head. It's not like I don't think I can get an internship, the opportunities out there are endless. The part that is scary to me is just trying to make the right decision.

I think a lot of what I am dealing with/ feeling right now had to do with my high school. I went to Suncoast and completed the IB program. It is a top five school in the nation. Meaning high school was hell. We always had a million things to do at once, and our teachers really instilled in us the desire to do everything well. No matter how much other stuff we still had to do when it was over. I never really understood the life of a real high school student. Every minute of every day was dedicated to homework, papers, projects, speeches, and studying. The average night of sleep was about four hours, for those who learned time management. Teachers always complained when we skipped, up until they realized that nine times out of ten, we were skipping class to do homework or hold study sessions. I actually had one teacher email me the year after we graduated saying that he realized our skipping was for good reason. (We proved it after our test scores got them ranked #5 in the nation).

Needless to say, I came to college with a butt load of credits, so really, I never really had a sophomore year here. The first time I met with my adviser, she told me to get straight A's and join AD Club if I wanted to make it into the major. I did one of those things. For some reason, I convinced myself that I would not be able to do both. So I didn't bother to join AD Club. BIG MISTAKE. I can barely remember the classes I took in freshman year. Thank god I got into this major. I remember last semester going to my first meeting. I was a junior by credits and I didn't even know what a cover letter was. Pitiful.

I honestly think AD Club is the best thing that happened to me this year. I remember seeing Eboard and being so impressed by how much they knew. Talking to them and going to meetings and on trips has sparked a passion for me. It took away any doubt that this is exactly what I want to do with my life. After this year in AD Club, I kind of have a new outlook on the influences in my life. Before now, it only made sense to me that school was the only thing that would be successful in my career. Now I know for a fact that that is not true. The things that I have learned from AD Club are priceless. Sometimes I don't even realize how much more I know just because I went to some certain meeting or because I talked to a member who has been there for a while. That's really the reason why I ran for exec. I really do hope that I can help someone love AD Club the way that most of us do.

I almost feel like I would have been better off if I didn't come to college with so many credits. That sophomore year I feel could have been integral for me. I would have known so much so early. It's my own fault though, I really should have listen to all of my adviser's advice. Now my consequence, I have to take some risk. I can either take a job a small outdoor agency in Orlando, or I can hold out and see if I might be able to get one at a bigger advertising agency. I'll let you know what I decide. Good luck with your quests for internships.

Say whaaa?

2 comments:

Liz Lamar said...

"I honestly think AD Club is the best thing that happened to me this year. I remember seeing Eboard and being so impressed by how much they knew. Talking to them and going to meetings and on trips has sparked a passion for me. It took away any doubt that this is exactly what I want to do with my life. After this year in AD Club, I kind of have a new outlook on the influences in my life. Before now, it only made sense to me that school was the only thing that would be successful in my career. Now I know for a fact that that is not true. The things that I have learned from AD Club are priceless. Sometimes I don't even realize how much more I know just because I went to some certain meeting or because I talked to a member who has been there for a while. That's really the reason why I ran for exec. I really do hope that I can help someone love AD Club the way that most of us do."

Cheesy I know, but now you know how I feel. AD Club is like my baaaaby. I'm so happy to be apart of it and I'm so glad you're on exec now. It really makes a difference when you have people who want to be there. :)

See you tuesday.

Luciano said...

Vanessa i love it, your so vanessa