Monday, March 31, 2008

a RANT & then some...

So first things first... LAMAR Advertising. That's not me. We'll not really. It's my family, but very distant. So I don't really count it, nor attribute them to the reason I chose to do advertising. BUT nonetheless I have to vent about a HORRIBLE idea for a billboard they decided to place on Tennessee Street. 


If any of you drive past Ocala heading towards Capital Circle near Wal-Mart, PLEASE check out the UPSIDE DOWN billboard that says, "The best thing to hit town since Elvis."

Maybe I don't get it and that's the problem and you all are laughing at me... but for starters,
[1] There's way too much text on the billboard. Whatever happened to keeping your copy short? AND it's upside down? I had to drive past it twice to even read the whole thing.
[2] If they really expect drivers to read the entire billboard taking the curve on Ocala, they are crazy.
[3] It doesn't make sense.

Someone please check this thing out. I want to know what you all think about it.

___________________________________

And then some... but this isn't venting. Or if it is considered venting, it's good venting :)

I went to dinner with Joe and Kelsey tonight and just talked and talked and ate and ate and drank and drank. During our outing I realized something - that it's just really cool how much I've learned about advertising in the past year or so. I use terminology without giving it a second thought. During my whole process of applying to internships, I feel like I know what I'm talking about and I've really been able to apply what I know to questions I'm asked. AND I've been able to help people in AD Club which has been one of the greatest things. :)

So that's that. Pretty coool if I do say so myself.

And hey we have a speaker coming from Creative Circus to speak at AD Club Tuesday night at 7:30 P.M. in HCB 215. Come out... you too Tom and Melissa!


a RANT & then some...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I almost died on that curve trying to read that billboard. Lawsuit anyone?

Vanessa Mc said...

It's funny that you say that about how you talk in advertising. Today I was in my Hispanic Marketing Class (great class everyone should take it) but a group did a focus group today, and they asked their participants something about "promotional vehicles" and my teacher told them later that this phrase was jargon and they shouldn't assume that other people knew said advertising terms. I agreed and so did Amanda, not everyone will know what a vehicle is. Except they did, they were asking them about actual vehicles like cars. How is it that the three of us are so wrapped in this major that we didn't even consider that they could've been talking about cars. Crazy, I love it.

Amanda Gibbs said...

SOooo heres something creepy.. I'm here ready to leave my comment and it turns out that Vanessa told the exact same anecdote that I was just about to..she told pretty much the entire story..just another instance where we're the advertising nerds and everyone else is lame...