Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Artists tell lies to tell the truth, politicians tell lies to cover it up.

Every time I come across a movie that I consider to be spectacular the first question I ask myself is, "why the hell hasn't anyone recommended this movie to me yet?" The other night I decided to watch V for Vendetta after it was recommended to me by two different people at two different times. V is a brilliant movie that takes place in a dystopian future and battles issues of large government, personal identity, and human nature. I don't want to spoil the movie for any of you, so I won't go into a lot of detail, but I wanted to mention a quote from the movie. "Artists tell lies to tell the truth, politicians tell lies to cover it up." This thing is poetry to me. I know it is a line that has most likely been used before, but I never heard it before and when I googled it, I didn't see it referenced anywhere else.




Check out the trailer and the clip I attached. Then watch the movie and tell me what you think. Also recommend to me any movie that is equally great that I may have missed.

Artists tell lies to tell the truth, politicians tell lies to cover it up.

3 comments:

Luciano said...

If you liked the long list of V words in the second clip here is a link to a parody of that scene that has subtitles to break it all down for you. I didn't want to post it due to crude language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXEIwEc1dxY&feature=related

Luciano said...

and yes I commented on my own blog...

Anonymous said...

I'd like to point out that the quote about artists using lies to tell the truth is by Alan Moore:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/153066

V for Vendetta is a referential work which uses quotes from literature and writers liberally. This is merely an example of such a quote.