Wednesday, October 8, 2008

We have gotten lazy...


We have gotten lazy. I'm not sure if I mean Americans or humans in general, but I know that Americans at least have gotten lazy. I think it has been a steady progression from the combination of technology, prosperity, and a sense of entitlement. We have been the "best" nation for so long that we have fallen asleep and now every once in a while we wake up just enough to realize how far we've fallen; only to drift away again. Let me just say that I am not attacking individual people, I'm talking about the nation as a whole. I remember earlier on in the political season (You know, the one that's stretched on for almost a year now) a McCain adviser said that America had become a "Nation of whiners" and then everyone went into crisis mode to try and apologize and say that it was just the opinion of one crabby old man...Maybe they shouldn't be apologizing. Maybe what we need is for someone to slap us in our collective face and tell us how lazy and whiny we have become. The saddest part is that our generation is the one who has been impacted the most. We grew up during the late 80s and through the 90s periods of great economic success, few wars, and a generally easy life. Through that time we where trained to be a generation of instant gratification and self-entitlement. I see it every day and know that I'm guilty of it too. We feel that we deserve anything we attempt to get. If we come up a few points shy of an A we e-mail the professor asking for those points. There's no real reason for us to get those points, but we feel that we deserve them and use some excuse like "I never missed a class" as rational. Or we get a parking ticket and appeal it knowing very well that we really have no excuse. We knew that we shouldn't park there, but we did and now we don't want to face the consequences. So I guess I'm just challenging everybody to not fall into this trap of self-entitlement. You don't deserve anything by birthright, you have to work for it...just a thought.

We have gotten lazy...

5 comments:

Tom Laughon said...

Justin, this is a thoughtful, insightful blog and I not only appreciate your take, but also your willingness to take a stand.

One of our ><(("> initiatives is to provide guidance and perspective regarding the four generations in today's workforce. We are examining ways to not only get along generationally speaking, but to harness the strengths without ducking the weaknesses. It’s really about diversity of the highest order. As a result of our diverse points of view, as well as the life experiences that shaped those points of view, we bring a lot of tension to the table when we come together. But, from that tension, if we recognize and respect the importance of different ways to look at things, we will generate better ideas and provide better solutions to the common challenges that face us all. That in the end is the greatest opportunity.

We are also trying to get a grasp on the transitions and implications those transitions will have on workforce dynamics (not to mention supply) as the Traditionalist and Boomers continue to exit. Oh yeah, and your generation continue to enter (in ever increasing numbers).

The exciting thing about Catch Your Limit is that we are kind of like the United Nations of the four generations. We are learning first hand the trials and tribulations, as well as the amazing benefits of teaming with our strengths and moving forward together.

With your permission, I would like to share your point of view with our various audiences and clients on a Gen Y's take on Gen Ys.

If truth be told, each generation comes equipped with the notion of self entitlement. As with yours, each of our generations needs to quit pointing fingers at the others and point it squarely in our own direction.
I agree that we “need for someone to slap us in our collective face and tell us how lazy and whiny we have become.”

Complacency (my word for lazy) is the challenge. Change is the opportunity. No matter our generational perspective, we are so set in our ways, we don’t invest the time to see that there are indeed other ways to look at things.

Keep on digitally grinding out good stuff, man ... you are one highly original tattooed dude!

Jeff said...

I was going to comment too but Tom pretty much took the words out of my mouth

Justin said...

Tom you absolutely have my permission to use this.

Vanessa Mc said...

1. Justin, you're awesome.
2. I interviewed the guy from Bulls today and he said the exact same thing. He was mostly talking about Gen Y. Somehow we think we are entitled to entitlement. All of us are guilty of it in some way or another. We just have to always check ourselves. It's actually pretty scary. Last year American's spent more money than they made. Yet we think we are entitled to lower gas prices and what not. Maybe all we are entitled to is the right to stop being so lazy. G5!

Luciano said...

I think entitlement can be useful if you use it the right way. I like to think I am entitled to whatever I want in life, but I know entitlement alone won't get it for me. The laziness that stems from entitlement generates a lot of good sometimes. I know that I am lazy sometimes, but instead of letting it hinder me, I try and just use it to find easier ways to do things more efficiently. But I agree with you in that it is probably our generations greatest weakness, I would only add that it is our greatest strength as well. Sort of the catch 22 of the age 22.