Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why go to college when there's Youtube?


I alluded to this in my creative industries presentation, but I felt like I didn't emphasize its importance enough. I am speaking so merrily about Youtube Tutorials. Anything you want to know how to do is available on youtube. Youtube is not only useful for comedy, politics, advertising, social networking, but it is also a living, breathing, evolving, and unique "how-to-"/ owner's manual of everything essential to your life, education, and/or hobbies. When I was having trouble loading my 8gb memory card into my Blackberry pearl the answer was just a few clicks away. I literaly searched for Blackberry memory card and found a handful of helpful instructional videos that went step by step of how to insert the memory card. The directions are short and they answer most of your questions. When it came time to make my video for my creative industries project, I simply searched, "how to make youtube videos". Fifteen minutes later I was on downloading Windows moviemaker and editing my video. These tutorials are so helpful that let's say you didn't know how to download windows moviemaker, these guys are steps ahead of you. In their video, in their video description, or in the comments section you can find the appropriate links to download the software they are teaching you to use. Which gets me to my point. I have turned to the youtube instructors once again now that I am trying to create my website. I have watched a few videos on creating websites and I recently learned how to design and import a template from Photoshop into Dreamweaver. This is useful because I hated the way websites would look using just Dreamweaver. Now instead of creating seperate button and having to organize a whole folder filled with miscellaneous images for my website, I can create the design with the buttons and banner on one document and use the knife tool to cut the various images where I will be linking them. Save the file as a html and image file and voila!!!!! PSD automatically creates the seperate images for you! I am also going to use this new found resource for making jeans and anything else I feel like I want to learn. So why go to school when you have youtube? (That is a rhetorical question, I know why).



Peace N Love
Tony

Why go to college when there's Youtube?

No comments: