Monday, October 20, 2008

Go Green


Last week I wrote that I didn’t want to send myself into a early grave because of food choices that were convenient now but which would hurt me long term. This week, I’ve been thinking about how that same idea applies to the environment. I constantly make excuses to myself that “going green” is for people with money, or at least not college kids… but then, that’s kind of the problem isn’t it? Too many of us say “I can’t afford a snappy new hybrid car or bamboo wood floors so I can’t possibly do anything to help,” when in reality, the small changes could be the most important.

I bought two reusable Publix grocery bags about a month ago, and although I’ve forgotten to use them once or twice, I still feel like I’m doing a little something to help (bonus: the handles don’t break like plastic bags and more food fits in than with plastic). I’ve even started taking them with me to Target or Walmart, which can be awkward because it feels a little like ordering McNuggets at Burger King, but I refuse to be ashamed that I’m helping to save the planet. Another simple way to help out and get some good karma: recycle the 300 Natural Ice cans that you clean up after your Halloween party. I researched three other college friendly ways to go green;

1. Change your light bulbs to Compact Flouresent Bulbs (CFL’s)

Why? They consume about 75 percent less electricity and last up to 10 times longer (10,000 hours as opposed to 1,500). Replace one 75-watt incandescent bulb with a 25-watt CFL and save up to $83 over the life of the bulb.

2. Unplug things when you’re finished using them (i.e. your straight iron, cell phone charger, or x box).

Why? You save electricity and up to $200 a year.

3. Recycle your old cell phones to greenphone.com

Why? Make a quick buck, clean out your desk drawer, and save the landfills 4 million pounds of refuse a year (if we all recycled one phone that is).

And for anyone who wants to call me a tree-hugger, go ahead- I’ll be thinking of ways to spend the extra bucks I have from going green ☺

Go Green

2 comments:

Zendoo.com said...

Cellular phones and other electronic devices are being discarded at an alarming rate and having a devastating effect on our environment. Since 2004, we here at Zendoo.com have been working to help reduce the impact of e-waste.
Through our exclusive dealings with electronics recyclers and cell phone refurbishes, we have become the leading on-line retailer of used cell phones.
The choices we make today can affect our land and communities for generations to come. Along with recycling, choosing pre-owned products is a great way to reduce the amount of waste that is overflowing from our landfills and to reduce the amount of energy and resources used to manufacture new items.
Buy used.
Stay in contact - reduce your impact.
www.Zendoo.com

Jeff said...

I think that is great. It's weird how one little easy thing like buying the green publix bags makes you feel so good. The truth is they are a big problem they create tons of waste and use a lot of oil to produce. I wish publix and all the stores would just stop offering them. I bought some a few months ago and mostly use them but more often forget. But I wouldn't forget if they didn't offer any bags.

I hug trees too they are cozy