Tuesday, October 7, 2008

You are what you wear


Back home, my town was not small enough for everyone to know each other's name, but we always tried to pull it off anyway by calling people "sweetie" or "honey" or "kid" or "ma'am" or "sir" and so on. I took that with me when I moved up to Tallahassee, but up here it has become increasingly noticeable that people don't do that. They simply beckon you by what you are wearing or what you look like. I work in the Governor's Square Mall and every time I walk to and from work all the workers or the kiosks will beckon me over pending on the shirt I am wearing. "Hey, I-Heart-FSU come let me show you my hair straightener!" "Hey pink top would you like to have better nails?" It's incredibly annoying. But it doesn't just happen there. On campus people will do the same thing. Today this truck was following me out of a parking lot and as I was walking out of his way he yelled out "Thanks lady Spirithunter bagged girl!" It is incredibly annoying. The only exception to this, is when I wear my shirt that says Savannah. My name, being that of a city, is often on t-shirts, and ever since I can remember if a friend or relative went there they brought me home one. When I wear those shirts people never yell "Hey Savannah!" they yell "Hey...blondie!" Ugh.


I understand that especially in a town with this many people on it it would be impossible to learn every one's name, but I miss home where you just called each other small pet names or terms of respect. I'm not "blondie", "pink top", "Noles-For-the-Cure" or any of those things. It has made me extremely more conscious of the things I wear as a shirt now. Apparently I have become whatever words or logos imprinted on my shirt. So forget what your eating....You are what you wear.

You are what you wear

No comments: