Friday, October 10, 2008

There is a time and place for Creativity...

I am going to preface my post by saying that I do not really take myself too seriously. I feel as if I am extremely laid back and try not to let the little things bring me down. Well, today something little has recently brought me down like crazy!

I got a haircut today that I absolutely hate. I know what you are all thinking..."Oh silly Andrea, it will grow back!" "It doesn't look bad!" "It's only hair."

Normally I would agree with all of the above statements but I am extremely disappointed. I understand that my hair will grow and it will be fine in the end but the part that frustrates me is the hair stylist's lack of communication skills. This post is not so much about a bad haircut but more so about bad communication. I felt as if I explained thoroughly what I wanted done. I wanted my hair a little longer than my shoulder, thinned out, and long enough to be able to put it up. What I got was hair two inches above my shoulder, my hair not long enough to put up in a ponytail, and it still being ridiculously thick.

Needless to say, I am upset! I love allowing people creative freedom but I think there comes a time when that freedom needs to be non-existent. When someone is paying for your services, such as a haircut, you should respect their wishes and give them a cut they will enjoy! If she thought my hair would have looked better short, she should have communicated that to me so I wouldn't have been so surprised at the end result. I don't mean to stunt her creative growth, but she could have still been creative while pleasing the customer. I am open to new things so if she would have expressed what she thought would look good, I would have thought about it and given her an answer. Instead I had to pretend to like it and leave in a hurry. I hate that.

Anyone else have bad haircut experience stories? I'd love to hear about them so we can relate. Sigh.

There is a time and place for Creativity...

No comments: