Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Frank, Curt, and Earnest. Three male names you see in today's society, although not as prevalent as in the past. Let me be frank. I will be curt. May I be earnest? Now granted curt is generally spelled "Kurt" (as in Russell) in these times, but I have seen it go both ways (as in Kurt Russell). It's in my nature to question the origin of words and phrases. Here you have three male names, two of which mean the same thing, and one that is roughly in the ballpark. Going back to the whole chicken and the egg, do you think Frank, Curt, and Earnest were men who set the tones for their synonymous states of presentation, or do you believe these descriptions of behavior were already set, and in hopes of raising honest/forward children, families named their kids accordingly? Personally, I think that Frank, Curt, and Earnest could be three dominating characters in an up and coming ad campaign for just about anything. The theme would have to be funny. Put em' in sticky situations where they act like their names (Curt would obviously be the head of this narrowminded trio). Ha!

Also, if anyone can explain to me the origin or breakdown of "low and behold" I'll give you about $3.50

Ed, Edd, and Eddy

1 comment:

Arlen Mabe said...

"Lo (archaic English for 'Look') and behold (see and recognize something)". You've probably seen this in the older versions of the Bible. Usually, Jesus was telling his listeners to to look, see and recognize what he was pointing out to them.