Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Diddy Does It Big

I recently saw one of the most ignorant commercials known to mankind. P. Diddy/Puffy/the artist formerly known as Mr, Bojangles or whatever his name is this week, is featured in this commercial. Unfortunately, I don't remember what product he was selling, if i had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say some cologne or something. Anyway, the product was not memorable but the commercial was.

Diddy is first seen on a jet ski...which isn't so bad, except that he is in a FULL TUXEDO, white spray drenching him from head to toe. In another scene, he is standing in knee deep water, still rocking the penguin suit, with two beautiful women in scuba gear. I mean, how more outrageous can you get?

But he's Diddy, and he can do that.

The point is, I would have loved to be sitting in on that brainstorming session...

Creative Guy 1: Ok guys, so we've got diddy and he's gunna do a commercial for something

Creative Guy 2: what's he selling?

CG 1: that's not important. We've got to figure out something absolutely ridiculous for him to do, that will make people stop whatever it is they're doing, and watch the TV screen in sheer disbelief. Now, what's the most IGNORANT, OUTRAGEOUS concept you can think of?

CG 2: well...since dinosaurs are extinct...and we might need to renew our passports to make it to Antarctica, I guess....well, my dad has a jet ski that he never uses down in Miami.

CG 1: sweet, I'll call the Tuxedo store

CG 2: what the hell?

CG 1: don't worry, this is gunna be epic, dude.

I want to make a commercial like this one day. All the elements have to come together perfectly, but if they did, what a wonderful product it would reveal. Unfortunately I couldn't find this commercial on youtube, but you'll know it if you ever see it on your television.

Diddy Does It Big

No comments: