Sunday, March 29, 2009

GE Gets Smart

This year GE made its first Superbowl commercial, advertising its Smart Grid technology. This commercial gave me a taste of what people in ad agencies probably feel the first time they see their work up on TV or in a big magazine or on a billboard. I didn't have anything to do with the commercial design, but I have to brag that my dad was one of the leading developers of Smart Grid technology, and I've edited several proposals and papers from my dad's company that have gone straight to the big guys at General Electric to put this thing in motion.

Everyone's been "going green," and anyone who participated in Earth Hour last night realizes how big of a deal saving the environment has become to everyone. I'm not an engineer, so I can't tell you exactly how Smart Grid technology works, but I think it's cool that we're finding new ways to conserve electricity and reduce costs. This stuff is already in place in other countries (China, Canada, and a lot of Europe were some of the first adopters) so it's cool that the U.S. is catching on (Obama has actually pushed Congress to pass laws to put smart grid in place within the next 3 years).

But the main reason I'm posting this is because I actually love the commercial itself. I think it's cute, and I'll always love the Wizard of Oz. Enjoy!

GE Gets Smart

No comments: