Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Day When Everybody Becomes Irish


Yesterday was St. Patty's Day and it amazes me how big of a holiday it becomes in a college town. Celebrations started early in Tallahassee (early being 5-6 AM). Students woke up to get in line to get banded and start drinking all the free green beer they could. It's not really shocking to hear the lengths that college students will go to drink, but it is pretty impressive. The same students who cant make it to their 10AM classes because they are too tired are up before the sun. But one of my favorite things is looking around at everyone in green, all matchy-matchy and seeing the crazy, creative ways that they find to incorporate green in to their outfits.  But what really makes me laugh is how many of them wear shirts that say something along the lines of "kiss me I'm Irish" when they clearly are not Irish. As part of a generation in which students take pride in their nationality and announce it proudly, it is amazing to look around and see everyone on the 17th of March drop their nationality and change to Irish for the day. Overall, I love St. Patrick's Day! 

The Day When Everybody Becomes Irish

No comments: