Wednesday, February 17, 2010

the AT&T vs. Verizon battle


Unless you have been living in a cave for the past 6 months or so, it is pretty easy to see that Verizon wireless and AT&T are at it again. These two cell phone companies, are at each other's throats, each claiming that one is better than the other. Every time I turn on the tv there's either Luke Wilson, who by the way I have no clue why AT&T would choose him to endorse their product, or the Verizon guy trying to convince me that they have better 3G coverage than their competitor. Verizon started this war by airing a commercial showing Verizon's 3G coverage map (which by the way was full) and then AT&T's "spotty" 3G coverage map. AT&T then immediately fired back with good old Luke Wilson in the commercials trying to convince people that with AT&T you can talk and surf the web at the same time. In this commercial Verizon plays off the iphone's slogan of "there's an app for that" and then turns it against AT&T (because they carry the iphone) by changing it to "there's a map for that." Clever? Yes, but honestly I do not care about all this better 3G coverage hoopla. Notice how they use 3G coverage (which is internet coverage) and not cell phone reception coverage. Yes, I have internet on my phone and use it quite frequently, but to me having cell phone reception is more important than being able to check my Facebook or update my Twitter. I think that people are going to choose what company they want to for reasons other than Luke Wilson attempting to convince people that his career is not failing because he's now moved onto endorsing cell phones, or the Verizon 3G map of America that seems very exaggerated. People are going to choose based on pricing and the phones that the company sells. I have AT&T myself and Verizon can show me all these 3G map statistics until I'm blue in the face, but it's not something that will make me switch companies. So with that said, who wins this battle? Verizon may have the better ads, but are people going to actually switch? In time we might be able to answer this, but in the meantime get ready to endure through a whole lot more of these "he says, she says" kind of ads while in waiting.

the AT&T vs. Verizon battle

No comments: