Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Consider Your Culture Part I (Obesity)

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/mystocks_ball


After watching the ad which is at the link above, a curious thought occurred to me. From my years of television watching experience here in the U.S. of A I have rarely, if ever, seen an ad that pokes fun at fat people, unless the ads were aimed at dieting or the like. The ad I watched, which is for a German marketing campaign for mystocks.com, portrays a couple at a brokerage firm asking questions about their investing future. The broker himself is portrayed as dunce when he answers their questions by letting a rather fat person roll down a ramp with a half green half red suit which will tell them if they should or should not invest. Mystocks.com then proceeds to position themselves as a brand that doesn't leave things to chance. What is shocking about this ad, however, is not the fact that I can understand German, but rather that in German culture it is okay to poke fun at fat people because the aren't the fattest country in the world. I think you would be less likely to see an ad such as this in America because of that fact.


Keeping all this in mind I think it we should begin to broaden our views about international advertising, but more will come on that topic next week...

Consider Your Culture Part I (Obesity)

No comments: