Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It Could Happen

Since it's internship-finding-hair-pulling season, I decided I'd stick to the internship theme. All of us are looking for internships, and some of you may already have landed the perfect opportunity. But for those of you who are still on the search and thing they might die of anxiety if they have to wait 'til April/May to hear back from internships, I have a suggestion for you.


Disclaimer: be ready to step outside of your comfort zone

Have you ever wanted to go somewhere abroad or out of the ordinary, but never have time or company or whatever? Your internship is your perfect excuse. Take me for example: anyone who has ever talked to me for a couple minutes knows that every 4 years, for 1 month, there are no problems, worries, etc. Unless the other team is winning (which thankfully, since I'm Brazilian, doesn't happen often - haha just kidding). I'm talking about the World Cup, which is in South Africa this year.

Anyways, long story short. I decided to apply for internships in South Africa! I literally Googled "advertising agencies South Africa", found a list of about 30 on bizcommunity, and started researching who worked at their HR department and emailed them my resume. I know it might be a long shot, but I applied to several local agencies as well as global companies like DDB and TBWA\. Maybe I won't get any offers, but at least I know I tried, because if I DO get it, if I DO go to South Africa during the World Cup, it would be the most amazing experience EVER!

So give it a try. "Ad agencies in Fiji" or perhaps "Ad agencies in Paris"? Make it a summer to remember.


It Could Happen

No comments: