Monday, February 15, 2010

The Luging Accident This Weekend

So, everyone is so excited about the Olympics! I think the winter Olympics are really fun to watch-especially the ice skaters. The music and the costumes and the way the athletes move is just so beautiful.


I was sitting on my couch this weekend watching television when my brother looked up from his cell phone and said, "oh my gosh!" I looked at him curiously. What was he so shocked about. You see, my brother is really into sports. He has such an athletic fetish that he has ESPN updates sent to his cell phone. He had just received the news on his phone, just moments after it happened, that a Luger had died during practice. Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21 year old Olympic athlete in Vancouver from of the Republic of Georgia, was going through a practice course and lost control of his sled near the end of his run. He was flying about 90 miles an hour. I don't think I've even had my car going over 90 miles an hour more than 5 times in my life. 90 miles an hour is an incredibly fasts speed, even for a Luger.

This is very depressing. But do you know what I don't understand about the entire incident? Because of the crash, the men Luger's are no longer aloud to do the male Luger track, which incidentally is simply the same track as the women's but starts higher up. This annoys me. Why does the women's luge have to be shorter. If a woman is good enough to luge in the winter Olympics, she is good enough to luge o the same track as a man. Why do we still not understand this?

The Luging Accident This Weekend

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wow, I hadn't heard about this yet...how sad!

And about the men versus women thing. We run on the same size tracks, swim in the same size pools, play on the same size courts. I don't get it. What's so different about this sport?