Monday, February 15, 2010

I'm Totally Lost

I remember watching the pilot of ABC's Lost. I was in 10th grade when it premiered, and I thought the first few episodes were pretty cool. But by the 4th or 5th week, I was getting frustrated. The number of questions this show was leaving unanswered was growing exponentially, and it seemed as if nothing was getting resolved. By episode 6, I had resigned from the show, deeming it too confusing and unsatisfying.

Fast forward to freshman year of college. My random roommate started watching a couple episodes (or more) every day with her boyfriend and told me she absolutely loved it. Of course, I already knew this because it was our shared room that had been serving as their own personal Lost theater for about month. Maybe they were on to something. I decided to give it another go.

I powered through the episodes in Season 1 where my interest had originally plateaued and then declined completely. With some patience this time around, I was seeing this show in an entirely new light. It was amazing! For the rest of the semester I spent hours on end watching episode after glorious episode thanks to abc.com's online viewing.

By sophomore year, I was anxiously waiting for Thursday nights to meticulously analyze every new episode and hope that some mysteries would finally be solved. Anyone who watches the show will know that this is never the case. We as viewers are NEVER satisfied with the answers that we're given because with each solution comes a handful of new quandaries (time travel, anyone?).

Still, the show is intoxicating. It has become famous around the nation, gaining even more popularity now that it's in its 6th and final season. Even Bud Light made a parody of it in one of their Super Bowl commercials. But here's a funny video I found that pretty much sums up all the confusion that this show brings. If you haven't actually watched Lost, it's probably not going to make much sense. If you have seen the show, I'm sure you'll appreciate it as much as I did.


I'm Totally Lost

No comments: