Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chicken Noodle Magic


For the past few weeks it seems everyone has been fighting off a cold. Last week I finally gave in and declared myself as officially sick. Equipped with Robitussin and cough drops I settled in for a weekend of sleep and recovery. On Saturday I was talking to my Mom and she declared that what I really needed was some good old fashioned chicken soup. This got me thinking why is it that people find chicken soup so comforting when they’re sick?

Throughout history chicken soup has been proscribed as a cure to the common cold. According to Wikipedia "Modern research conducted by Dr. Stephen Rennard, professor of pulmonary and critical care medicine, and his colleagues at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha suggests that there might be some scientific basis for the belief in the curative powers of chicken soup. They found that the particular blend of nutrients and vitamins in traditional chicken soup can slow the activity of certain white blood cells." Therefore chicken soup acts as natural anti-inflammatory and decongestant temporarily relieving cold symptoms.

In other words Mama was right chicken soup does make you feel better!

Chicken Noodle Magic

1 comment:

nicolexcellent said...

HOLY CRAP! this is awesome!