Tuesday, February 24, 2009

We Cause Scenes...

Improv Everywhere is a performance art group based in New York City, formed in 2001 by the infamous Charlie Todd. Their catchy slogan, "We Cause Scenes," truly defines what they stand for.  The group spontaneously displays non-threatening pranks, which they call "missions," everywhere in the US.  They are similar to "Flash Mob," but from their website they show how they are entirely different with the missions they carry out. 


Last weekend, one of my good friends, Hallie, was visiting NYC.  She would continually call me throughout her weekend to find [of course] the best restaurants, bars, sights, etc; since I do love and know that city like the palm of my hand, I enjoyed every phone call.  It was one phone call that occurred on Saturday that made me laugh and realize that I had seen something similar when I was in NYC this past summer.  Hallie was telling me how she was in Grand Central, since she had never been there before, and all of a sudden about 200 people just froze.  At first everyone was completely confused, unsure what just happened? It was 5 minutes later that the "frozen people" began walking and on with whatever they were doing before they had stopped moving  completely.  She found out from someone else that it was a mission from the Improve Everywhere group.  

I looked it up online this weekend and found some pretty interesting "missions" of theirs throughout the past few years.  Some of my favorites were "No Pants: Subway NYC," "Human Mirror," "Cellphone Symphony," and "Food Court Musical." 

Check them out at http://improveverywhere.com/ or just take a look at these YouTube videos below...

We Cause Scenes...

No comments: