Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Scream for Lilly


The colorful prints of Lilly Pulitzer are seen worldwide. The attractive bold colors and intricate designs have been luring women in of all ages. The company has been around a lot longer than many know. 


My grandmother taught me how to sew when I was in fourth grade. I would painstakingly sew together two by two squares for hours in the summer at her beach house. The squares would come together in a blur of neon pinks and oranges, yellows and greens forming usually a pillow or small blanket. I never could focus on one project long enough to have a decent end product. 

Each of the squares of Lilly Pulitzer fabric contain "Lilly," hidden somewhere in the design. The brightly themed patterns are derived from the companies' creator who wanted to hide fruit stains and often found inspiration in ice cream colors. "Lilly," can be found as the veins in a leaf or petal of a flower but are always hidden somewhere.

I Scream for Lilly

No comments: