Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I don't mean to be rude, buttt...

I was doing a good deed for a friend at work, and I covered her shift. Tonight was going really well, it was steady (I'm a server) and I was just waiting to get cut off the floor, do my sidework and get my tips. I had two tables I was waiting on as I began restocking the salad bar, filling my caddies with sugars and ketchup, rolling silverware, and sweeping and mopping my section.

These two tables were very polite... two couples just for a late night dinner. Both couples came in around 8:00 p.m. and I was cut off the floor at 8:30 p.m. So when I was done with all my sidework, which takes me about 30-45 minutes, I expected the couples to be done with their dinner and discussions with plenty of time to be cashed out. I thought I had timed everything perfectly out... but I was sure wrong this time...

After I had finished all of my sidework, I was surprised to notice both couples still sitting at their tables. It was around 9:05 when I checked the clock. I said to myself, "okay, just a few more minutes..." Well, 10 minutes went by, 15 minutes, 25 minutes, and as i saw the clock making it's way to 9:35 I was just getting restless and annoyed by this time. These people had obviously finished their meals, and were just sitting and talking... SIT AND TALK SOMEWHERE ELSE! I'M READY TO GO HOME!

When it was 9:45, I had my limit and went over to both tables and politely asked if I could just cash them out because my shift was over, but they were welcome to stay and chit-chat as long as they'd like. They were very apologetic and paid their bills. I reassured them it was okay, but I just needed to get home and write this blog....

Moral of the Story-- If you're going to sit and talk for hours, at least pay your ticket first, and definitely don't sit and chit-chat forever when the restaurant is busy, you're taking up one of my tables! I need money! If you do and chit-chat forever, at least leave me a fat tip and I'll call it even! :)

I don't mean to be rude, buttt...

No comments: