Monday, February 2, 2009

The Superbowl

I was really disappointed with the ads shown during the Superbowl last night. None of them really jumped out at me. Last year, I saw some that were funny and that I liked ok, but the past couple of Superbowls have had mediocre ads. I can distinctly remember watching the Superbowl ads when I was little, and I was amazed how creative they were. And a HUGE problem is the economy. Companies can't afford to spend millions and millions of dollars on advertising their products like they used to when our economy was flourishing. Each year, I feel the companies come out with the same idea over and over again. It becomes boring to see the same idea recycled. The economy is a huge threat to agencies budgets!

On a more positive note, there was one ad I thought was cute.....the picnic Coke commercial. It was enchanting how tons of insects stole the coke bottle and opened it to taste Coke. Their tagline was "Open Happiness." When most people think of true happiness, they usually think of their childhood when there was no responsibility and worries....or at least it does for me. This commerical reminded me of "It's a Bug's Life" and tapped into my memories of my childhood. It was fantasy-like and wanted to express how good Coke is. It was like their commercial last year with the animated little workers inside the Coke machine, but it was still super cute.

The Superbowl

No comments: