Wednesday, March 17, 2010

3D movies?

I saw Avatar and Alice In Wonderland. Sure Avatar made good use of it's 3D with the planet's different scenery, but Alice In Wonderland felt like 3D was just slapped on there. Even Avatar got a little dull after a while (I get it, it's like a StarWars version of FernGully) and I began to realize the effects don't really add anything to the movie. This made me think about the industry. It seems 3D is the way to go and we're going to see a lot more movies in this format, but 3D movies require expensive equipment, time, and giant budgets. So what will this do to good little indie films with creative plots and witty dialogues? It's not a question I can answer, but it worries me that we as an audience might get sucked into these subpar 3D movies that only major studios can put out and that cost more than regular movies just because of some silly craze. Maybe one day the technology for this third dimension will become impressive enough to really make an impact on the way we experience movies, but I don't feel that day is here and I'm definitely already getting bored with these gimmicky movies that rake in a lot at the box office just because of novelty.

3D movies?

2 comments:

Ramage, what? said...

I'm not a big fan of 3d. I prefer a good movie with a good cast, a good script, and a good director, instead of a tired story with over prices effects.

Nikki.Preciado said...

Austen-

You'll be disappointed to learn that they're coming our with 3DTVs! The first televised 3D event will be the Mexico vs South Africa game this summer! I believe ESPN is working on getting more events in 3D, too.

I agree though: all the 3D movies I've seen lack character development and have poor plot lines, so the audiences end up getting lost in the pretty effects instead. Plus the fact that they're charging about $5 more is appalling.

I like to stay optimistic and say that even though there will always be the big companies making full-blown entertaining movies, there will also always be the little guy who's making a sweet movie on a tight budget (Primer, for example). I'm not saying it's wrong to like big-budget effects-filled movies, but as movie-watchers, we should definitely learn to support the little guys, too.