Monday, March 15, 2010

Future Plans

Ever since my junior year of high school, I knew I wanted to be an advertising major. I thought I could doodle pictures and turn them into amazing print ads and that would be that. I'm creative, I like to draw, there's no calculus...it made sense.

But last year our ad research class kind of changed my mind about what I wanted to do with advertising (and it wasn't just because we had a gorgeous teacher). I started to realize that I actually like the research and the numbers that every business needs to have in order to decide what ads to use and where to put them. I even kind of like media planning - weird, I know. This summer I'm going to be working in the market research department of a company where there's pretty much no creativity whatsoever.

So basically, I'm doing the furthest thing from my original plan while staying in the same major, and I'm happily surprised that I love it! What about you guys? Have you had the same goals since high school or have they developed quite a bit?

Future Plans

4 comments:

Allison Chait said...

I liked ad research too!! I got made fun of for saying it. I have always liked math but I never knew what to do with it in Advertising. Let me know how your internship goes. Where is it?

Michela Fleury said...

you both should definitely check out media departments too! they get to be creative in how to spend money & new media.

PLUS you get taken on a LOTTTT of nice "business dinners" that come with a lot of cool perks ;)

Jessica said...

Allison - it's at Visit Florida here in Tallahassee.

Michela - thanks! I could definitely do business dinners on the reg :)

Andre 3000 said...

That was a good class. I went in there thinking I would hate it, but it turns out that I would really like to pursue a future in this.