Monday, March 15, 2010

The Student Life Cinema

I, like many people in college, love movies. I hang out with tons of film geeks, and we swap recommendations for all kinds of movies, TV shows, and webisodes. What amazes me is that so many people don't realize that FSU has its own FREE MOVIE THEATER.


Allow me to repeat myself for emphasis: FREE MOVIE THEATER.


Above is a map of where it is. It's right next to Wildwood and Reagans (sp?). They play all kinds of movies here Monday through Saturday; underground films/cult classics, blockbusters, oldies, and it even premieres FSU film student's latest works. They also hold events and festivals, such as video game tournaments (not my thing, personally), and are holding a Stanley Kubrick festival, which will be showing some of his greatest works, including A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, and The Shining. The SLC is so well-known around the film community, that the week before spring break, they showed the movie "Coach Carter", and then had a discussion with THE ACTUAL Coach Carter.

Like I said, it's FREE if you show your FSU card, and the concession stand is pretty cheap. They have $1 popcorn nights on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and have all kinds of candies and drinks.

What movies are they playing this month? Besides the Kubrick festival, they'll be playing Sherlock Holmes, Fight Club, An Education (nominated for an Oscar), It's Complicated, Clerks, Youth in Revolt (with Michael Cera), Macgrubber, The Imaginirium of Dr Parnassus, Avatar, Mars Attacks, and Aladdin!

Pick up a schedule at the SLC's front desk. Hope to see you all there!

The Student Life Cinema

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You're right! I always forget that we have a free theater and it's really such a good thing to have. The last one I saw there was Inglorious Basterds. And the Thursday before Spring Break I went and watched all the film school kids' short films they made this year. Cool stuff!