Sunday, March 21, 2010

Southwest declares war.


You all have seen some of Southwest Airline's new ad campaign - the one featuring the baggage handlers going up to a competitor's [apparently a Delta Airlines] aircraft and lifting up their shirts to read "bags fly free." The video I included in this post is a similar concept, and while I do not favor video advertisements without a voice (they fail to grab attention in my opinion), this was an exceptional video. Playing on the whole concept of athletes leaving a locker room and taking their field, the advertisement undoubtedly gets its point across. Closing with an "It's On" increasing in font size is definitely a declaration of war to any potential opponents.

Southwest knows their strengths and plays to them. The campaign can be viewed as somewhat of a Risk (GASP I said the R-word), but it is quite effective. I did notice that it [the campaign as a whole] is also very sports oriented; writing on one's stomach and the whole concept of walking the tunnel are very sports oriented concepts.

Southwest declares war.

2 comments:

Ramage, what? said...

I really like these spots. Not what you would expect for an airline at all! Great find.

ErinF said...

I love the one where they lift their shirts up. I hadn't seen this one before, but its just as great. Thanks for sharing!