Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Artsy Fartsy

Every once in a while, there's nothing better than sitting down and doing an art project. I don't normally like to make full size paintings or anything because that usually just gets frustrating, but I love a little arts and crafts, do-it-yourself creativity! Luckily, one of my best friends feels the same way. She called me yesterday to hang out, and asked if I'd be down for making friendship bracelets or something. Of course I was excited. Don't get me wrong, I don't do this with all my friends. She doesn't do it with all her friends. We just know we can go to each other and not be made fun of for wanting to do little kid projects or whatever kind of art we're in the mood for. However, it was surprisingly easy to decline AJ's invites last night, although nobody really understood why I thought "craft night" was so much more fun.

So we made it over to Michael's and ended up settling on a bunch of bright strings, a coloring book, and a tye-dye kit. When we made it home, my friend went straight to work picking out a color palette and found an easy template for making a bracelet. I picked through my closet for all the white things I don't normally wear that could be improved with a tye dye job. I settled on two shirts, a pair of socks, and a sports bra. Unfortunately, we have to wait 24 hours before I can unwrap the clothes to see my beautiful designs, so I can't post a finished picture. But they look really cool even now, twisted up in rubber bands and soaking in multicolored dye.

If any of you all are into the DIY, arts and crafts projects, and even some creative ways to cook, instructables.com and craftster.org are really good websites to browse. I could click through these for ages, and have already found plenty of summer projects to get my hands on...only six more weeks of school!

Artsy Fartsy

No comments: