Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When I Grow Up...

I didn't realize I wanted to be an ad major until sophomore year of college. That is when I made the connection between Art History (my primary major) and Advertising and how both are all about "the message". I thought my ability to analyze visual images and decipher the message behind visual images would make me best suited for the creative department, art direction to be specific. So I aspired to be an Art Director or Creative Director one day at a notable agency or company.


BUT...after my MAIP interview, I'm not as confident in my creative abilities :(

My interviewer said I would have to go to art school after undergrad to boost my technical skills and that, if anything, I might be better suited for copy writing due to my strong speaking and writing skills. But art school and other ad portfolio-building institutions are EXPENSIVE! I don't know if I'm willing to have $80,000 in loans...especially in this economy!

So now I think I'm at a crossroads.

I think I would do well in art direction, but apparently I need some work to catch-up to the PhotoShop geniuses of the world...

I GUESS i could do copy writing, but I want to be more involved in the visual process...

I could also be the middle-man (middle-woman) between the client and the creative department...what is that called anyways?

Or maybe something in branding? I think I would be really good at that since I'm a Thinker and I'm so analytical and super observant...

And someone once told me I would do well in the film industry as a creative something or another...

IDK, but truthfully, I'm not feeling the whole "keep going to school for 2 more years and end up with tens of thousands of dollars in loan debt" idea.

So I guess my question is, WTF SHOULD I DO?!?! pardon my french :)

I guess the moral of the story is: even though not knowing my exact future post-grad makes me VERY uneasy, it's ok to not completely know your future?!

I don't know, but when I grow up....

"I WANNA BE FAMOUS, I WANNA BE A STAR, I WANNA BE IN MOVIES...."




I know...completely random...but I just like putting videos in my blogs :)

So now I guess the plan is to be selected as a MAIP intern for the summer, strengthen my Adobe skills and build my portfolio, take Digital Foundations in the fall to boost my skills even more, and somehow figure my life out before graduation! Piece of cake...lol

PS- Happy St. Patty's Day :)


When I Grow Up...

1 comment:

Ramage, what? said...

I feel the same anxiety you do. I know I love advertising, but I'm struggling to find out where I belong. I love copy writing, but i definitely need to hone my skills. Ahhhh the stress.